1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review A few words about...™ Hook -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Ah, gotcha. The reason I asked is because I redeemed the UHD digital copy, and it's 4K on Google Play but HDX on Vudu.

2. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Saw this in the theater and almost went to sleep.

ScottHM likes this.
  3. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Screenwriter

Konstantinos
    Can anyone tell us please if the Bluray is remastered too or is it the old one?

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I haven't had a chance to pop it in yet, but multiple people are reporting that it's the 2011 Blu-ray. At least the disc artwork has been updated, however, because it has a 2018 copyright date on it.

5. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Supporting Actor

I always hoped this movie would somehow age well and become more fondly remembered. Pity. It's my favorite John Williams score.

6. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Screenwriter

Konstantinos
    I see. :(
    Thanks

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  7. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

I remember seeing 'Hook' in the theater and looking forward to it with great anticipation. I REALLY wanted to love the film. Sadly, I left the theater thinking that Spielberg had lost his mind. Disappointing isn't a strong enough word to describe my feeling about the film.

I seriously doubt that superbly colorful 4K image quality could rescue the film for me.

Mark

atcolomb and ScottHM like this.
  8. CarlLaFong

CarlLaFong Agent

Bob Wheeler
    I wanted to like this movie, tried to like this movie, fondly remember the fun pirate cameos (Jimmy Buffet and David Crosby, plus Glenn Close in drag). But I bailed at that interminable reunion scene between Peter and Hook. "Yaw...Peetah?" over and over again.

9. SFMike

SFMike Second Unit

Michael
    This movie makes me very happy Spielberg didn't direct Harry Potter.

10. Message #30 of 30 Oct 20, 2018 at 4:37 PM
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018 at 5:42 PM
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I remember I had the laserdisc and I watched it once after having watched the 1953 Disney version and the 1960 Mary Martin version multiple times. I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. I didn't really feel anything for it at all. It left me totally inert. It didn't make me angry enough to want to throw things or actively avoid anyone in it (although outside of Steel Magnolias, a little Julia Roberts goes a long way) but it didn't make me want to watch it over and over again the way some movies did then, including but not limited to E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial and later Jurassic Park. I had the former on those green VHS tapes in both English and in Spanish, and I had the CAV laserdisc box set of the latter as soon as it came out and eventually bought movie posters for both.* That's the kind of devotion Spielberg was hoping for. I haven't seen it since I was 9. Frankly, even Toys had something that made me want to watch it more than once. I'm almost afraid to rewatch this, but let's be honest: it can't possibly be as big a clunker as Pan or that Allison Williams thing looked.

*Ah, Suncoast. How I miss you. Even more than I miss Tower Records. No, you didn't have as big a selection, and you only had movies but not music, but you were closer to my childhood home.