1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

ABC's 'THE MIDDLE'

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, May 9, 2012.

1. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Jake Lipson likes this.
  3. Message #43 of 49 Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    They've been filling out the cast of the spinoff recently. No word yet on Daniela Bobadilla yet, but Brock Caarlelli is in as Brad, and he will be a series regular this time, which bizarrely he never actually was on The Middle. They've also been casting a bunch of new people playing staff at the hotel where Sue will work. The title was also previously announced as Sue Sue in the City, but TV Line now says that's going to change.

http://tvline.com/2018/10/11/middle-spinoff-chris-diamantopoulos-cast-sues-boss-sue-in-the-city/

I wonder if Bobadilla might be harder to do, plotwise, because Lexie is also Axl's girlfriend/flash-forward wife. I would enjoy seeing her too, but then you'd have to make Axl a frequent presence, and they left him in Denver. They might want to wait a bit before bringing in the other Heck kids for visits, in order to first establish this as Sue's show with its own dynamic. Hypothetically. I'd be delighted to see them, but it's important for this show to set itself apart and not appear to be The Middle season 10. So maybe we'll get to the other Hecks further down the line. Just a guess.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
  5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Definitely a bummer. I wonder if ABC's younger-skewing cable sibling, Freeform, might snatch it up?

Tony Bensley and Jake Lipson like this.
  6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    That happened already with the Black-ish spinoff, Grown-ish, which was a success for Freeform and was renewed for a second season, which will debut in January. Also, Freeform currently carries repeats of The Middle. So it's not out of the realm of possibility.

But I think a major question here, which we don't have the answer to, is why ABC decided to pass on it.

It could be that they viewed it as too young-skewing for their lineup (which is why they passed on Grown-ish.) It could be that they specialize in making family comedies and the setup of Sue working in a hotel doesn't jive with that. Or it could be that they saw the completed pilot and thought it didn't work/wasn't as good as The Middle/whatever.

If they passed on it because the show isn't up to par, that's a very different thing than if they passed on it because it didn't work with their schedule. To be clear, i'm not saying the spinoff isn't up to par -- I'm saying we literally don't know, because we haven't seen it, and we haven't been privy to ABC's internal decision-making processs.

It's also worth noting that Black-ish and Grown-ish are produced by ABC Studios, so Freeform is in the same corporate umbrella as them (Disney.) The Middle, and also the Sue spinoff, were produced by Warner Bros. TV, so Freeform doesn't have quite the same motivation for rescuing that as they would for Grown-ish.

It's also possible that Warner Bros. TV could shop the show to other networks, although because it is an offshoot of The Middle, which is closely associated with ABC after running there for nine years, that might be harder for another network to brand as their own, because there is so much history there. Again, the fact that Freeform already airs The Middle reruns would help. Hallmark Channel also airs The Middle reruns, but I don't think they have original sitcoms as a part of their schedule.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Disney just purged ABC's executive ranks, including network president Channing Dungey, in anticipation of FOX television execs taking over once the acquisition closes. I'm guessing that the "Sue" pilot was being championed by one or more of the outgoing execs, and had nobody left in its corner in the aftermath.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  8. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Very disappointing news, regarding ABC's rejection of the 'Sue' spin-off! :(

9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Deadline's report indicates that WB may shop it to other networks. We'll see what happens.

Tony Bensley likes this.