1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by LeslieG, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I get all of that - when I say "powers that be" I'm talking more to the BBC brass than the Who brass.

It's just bad business - they're a nonprofit but they do use the revenue from their most popular shows and ancillary sales like international rights and disc sales to bring money back in. Doctor Who is easily their biggest export. So messing around with the golden goose is just dumb.

I find the further I get away from the Matt Smith years that I first turned in during, the less interested I become - and that's more about not having any momentum after these long breaks and short seasons than the quality of the show itself. But in this case, absence isn't making the heart grow fonder - it's making the heart move on to other things!

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I think there must be political/legal considerations for why BBC Wales is still the production home for "Doctor Who".

If BBC Worldwide, the commercial and international arm of the BBC that is allowed to make a profit, was the production home, we'd be getting thirteen episodes a year plus a Christmas special like clockwork.

The Eleventh Doctor was "my" Doctor, too. That being said, Capaldi was really excellent this last series. Even if Jodie Whittaker is great right out of the gate, I will miss him.

I still wish they'd do a miniseries with Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  3. KevinGress

KevinGress Supporting Actor

Along with that, it will give those long-time fans who don't want to see a female Dr. Who the time to do just that while stunting the possibilities of new fans because the hype will die down.

I'll be interested to hear how the ratings go (I'm holding to my vow and not partaking. I found something to like with every Doctor up til now, but this isn't the Doctor). Will the initial bump in viewership - and there will be one - be enough to carry forward, or will the political/social agenda, touted by many, increase and finally drive the show under? So far it sounds like STD is surviving (second season announced) while veering away from the tenants of Star Trek, so as the Magic 8 ball would say, "the future is unclear".....

All I know is that I'll find better things to do.

4. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

The new season will not be as short as you think. The announced fifty minute episodes are actually about 6 minutes longer than the length of most of the “traditional” 13 episodes. Combined with the expected feature length episodes (and there *will* be a Christmas special) the actual amount of filmed content will be about the same.

By the way, the trend of most popular BBC shows (e.g. “Death in Paradise”) is to have a season that consists of eight sixty minute episodes. When placed into syndication for other commercialized markets, this usually fills a 90 minute block.

5. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    Yep.

Call The Midwife, for example... Every December the season starts with a Christmas episode that runs about 1 hour, 15 minutes, then the season of 8 episodes at 60 minutes follows later in January. Rinse, repeat.

Of course, PBS still hacks them down to 50 minutes for some damn reason that isn't commercials.

So, would everyone like a true British season of 8 episodes and a Christmas special?

6. Message #1126 of 1180 Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    NO

7. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Just finished listening to The Time War Series 1 from Big Finish. This was really well done and very exciting. [​IMG]

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Good to know! I'll have to check that out at some point.

NeilO likes this.
  9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The Thirteenth Doctor's costume revealed:
    DoctorWho_S37_001.

I dig it. It's got a vaguely seventies vibe, that sort of calls back to the classic series's heyday. And it feels like a nice contrast to the Twelfth Doctor's punk rock magician look. The worst thing they could have done would have been to make the first female Doctor just a female version of the preceding male Doctor. Thirteen should feel as different from Twelve as Twelve felt from Eleven. And properly, still feel a bit alien.

Interesting that the phone instructions on the TARDIS are back to being white on black instead of black on white, another throwback to the seventies era of the show. And the TARDIS blue is more of a wood varnish than the flat paint of the Eleven/Twelve TARDIS exterior.

Neil Middlemiss and Blimpoy06 like this.
  10. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Those suspenders reminded me of someone. :)

[​IMG]

Albert71292 and B-ROLL like this.
  11. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think pants that are too long to be shorts but that don't go all the way down are weird, but I never understood fashion anyway. :D

My feelings remain the same: I think she'll be a good doctor and I'm looking forward to her run, but I think it's to soon for Capaldi's departure and I wish he had stuck around for another few years. The frequent switching out of the doctors is making it harder for me to remain engaged with the show, and it's so frustrating that just as soon as they finally figured out how to write for Capaldi, that he left. But feelings about Capaldi leaving too soon should not be held against the new person taking over, and I'm trying very hard not to do that. I also think it's worse that the BBC has both delayed and shortened the new season, especially considering they had just skipped a year very recently. That year break has really killed a lot of my enthusiasm for this show. I don't feel like I'm "in it" anymore, if that makes any sense. Around the time of the 50th anniversary special, I really felt wrapped up in this world, and even though I didn't think the writing was as good on the first two Capaldi seasons, they followed in a fast enough time that I was into it.

But the year off was tough, and it was weird watching this past season with two competing thoughts: "these are far and away the best episodes Capaldi has done, and man, he's incredible!" and "I'm kinda over this I think."

Hopefully the enthusiasm will return in time for Thirteen's arrival.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Ten and Eleven, as much as I love them, were close to overstaying their welcome when they left. But Nine and Twelve felt they had a lot of stories left to tell. And I still mourn the fact that we only got one TV movie and one 10-minute webisode with Eight. I think if he'd had the chance, Paul McGann would have been a truly great Doctor.

13. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    I thought the last season was very entertaining and engaging. The pacing and editing was toned down and the characters had time to interact and be involved in each other without spewing nothing but exposition to advance the plot. I cared about that team a lot more than any others since the 70's. One of the most unique companions ever. And one year was too short for her.

14. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I so agree. I'd love for a McGann one-off or mini-series. He was so good in the webisode, and to me, bringing him back would be viable (they just need to throw in a line about it being a different time period or something).

For Eleven... I think the writing failed Matt Smith in that final season. I think much of his character was built around him being part of a unit with the Ponds, and when they left the show, it was almost as if they didn't know what to do with the character. I never know if Amy and Rory were written off by the producers, or if the actors quit, but I don't think the last half season ever recovered from their absence, and I'm not sure the mystery of Clara was enough to hang the season on.

So on one hand -- I think the show needed a change, but I'm not sure that Matt walking away was the change it needed. It seems like the show finally got an exciting new direction in the 50th Anniversary Special but then immediately abandoned it.

15. Message #1135 of 1180 Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I really, really liked this Christmas special. There's a tendency to go out with a bang when it comes to a Doctor's final episode, and tell an epic story with the fate of the planet or perhaps the universe at stake.

But in a way, I much prefer this quiet sort of story for a Doctor's farewell. The time saved on pyrotechnics allows more time for scenes built around character.

I loved the "Previously On" to scenes from "The Tenth Planet". And I appreciated that they explained away the fact that David Bradley has a different face than William Hartnell as a side effect of the regeneration process being in progress. I especially loved the fade in to the original regeneration footage near the end.

I kept expecting an appearance by the real Bill Potts, since she did in fact survive Mondasian colony ship. But I understand why Moffat made the choice he did; each time the Doctor regenerates, the only thing left is his memories. The glass memory constructs of the New Earth testimonies are like snapshots of past regenerations. The Twelfth Doctor gets to experience Bill and Nardole and Clara the way his future selves will remember him.

And as Moffat brings one era of "Who" to an end, the special served as an affirmation of who and what the Doctor has been. For the past 54 years, the Doctor has inspired generations upon generations of fans to be braver, to kinder, to never give up and never give in. And in a universe that breeds terrible things, he has been the one to deliver the happy endings.

Once the reconstructed memories of Bill and Nardole depart, and the Doctor returns to the TARDIS, what follows can be seen as Moffat giving Chibnall his marching orders: You're making some big, bold changes to "Doctor Who", but these are things about the Doctor that absolutely cannot and must not change.

And then the regeneration process explodes out of the Twelfth Doctor and ushers in the Thirteenth. The scene did its job of getting me hooked for what's to come. I always get especially exciting for the hard reboots, where it's not just swapping out a Doctor or a companion, but where everything changes. We haven't had one of those since Matt Smith took over -- in very similar circumstances.

By the end of the scene, the old Doctor is gone, the old TARDIS is gone, and the old companions have been put to rest. And the new Doctor is in terrible danger. A rather cruel 10 month or so wait until we find out what happens next.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: There are two schools for Doctor Who Christmas Specials: The Specials that happen to take place at Christmas, and the Specials that are truly Christmas Specials. This was one of the best examples of the former category. It was an episode almost entirely unrelated to Christmas, but then when the tie in came it was perfect. The Christmas truce of 1914 is truly one of those rare moments of actual history where humanity lived up to the Doctor's example. For once, no big complicated Rube Goldberg plot twist. Instead, a very simple trick that took advantage of an actual real world miracle.

Josh Steinberg, NeilO and Blimpoy06 like this.
  16. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    I hate to see Capaldi go.

I'm glad to see Moffat go.

It was a great send-off.

I've seen plenty of people nitpicking it to death and whining and complaining about trivialities, but it was a great send-off to probably the best Doctor of the new era. He didn't always have the best material to work with, but Capaldi elevated bad to good and good to great.

But, he's gone now... and I can't wait to see his replacement in action. Of course, that's assuming they mix the dialog and sound overall a bit better. I had to go online to figure out what her first line was because I had no subtitles/CC and even two words were unintelligible.

In the last few years, I've hated the idea of Ghostbusters 2016, Star Trek in both its Nu and STD forms, DC Comics as a whole, and many other "Reboots". Why? Because they abandoned the core of what they are and their entire history for a quick buck or a cheap gimmick and told you "like it, fanboy, or piss off. We don't need you who supported us all these years, we want the mainstream dollar!". But this regeneration that seems to be a bit divisive because so many people see an alien who routinely changes every molecule in their body and no one blinks an eye but this specific one is just unfathomable... it isn't that. We saw Capaldi into Whittaker, it's still The Doctor, same as it was 12 times before, and we just got a love letter to 54 years of history as a lead up to an exciting new chapter... so hell, let's go. Bring on the new season and the new Doctor. Season 11 looks like it's going to be fun.

17. KevinGress

KevinGress Supporting Actor

I'm going to respectfully disagree - it's exactly that. Now, can it overcome it and become something that is the Doctor? Yes. Is it likely? Time will tell.

Adam was right - it's a quiet type of story. The first time I watched it, it seemed like nothing really happened. The second time, it still seemed like not much occurred, but I did appreciate some of the interactions, and the Captain's thoughts. It's certainly rewatchable but overall, pleasant but not too outstanding.

I'll miss Doctor Who but he's left quite a library to go back and revisit.

18. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    I liked Peter Capaldi as Doctor Who but not the scripts. There has been too much philosophising and not enough action, the stories are too talky. A new female doctor and writers will hopefully re-energise the show.

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

A time-lapse video of the Smith/Capaldi TARDIS set being disassembled:

20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

New logo:

New poster:
    DoctorWho_S37_002.

B-ROLL, Blimpoy06 and Neil Middlemiss like this.