1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo NX is now Switch (Official thread)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by laser, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Earbuds in general give me the creeps due to the inability for air to escape creating a pressure bubble in my ears that is like living in a tupperware bowl. YMMV.

OK, playing D3 has me burning through batteries. Considering getting a usb battery pack, what do you recommend. Thinking of one of these Ankers so far:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-20100mAh-Portable-Compatible/dp/B01LQ81QR0/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_tr_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1RRT21BCJPME5BE28952

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Portable-Nintendo-Delivery/dp/B01MZ61PRW/?tag=gbm-ea-20

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-20100mAh-Portable-Delivery/dp/B071WNWRNC

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    You play portable in the house or on the go? What’s battery life of Switch typically?

3. JQuintana

JQuintana Second Unit

Johnny
    My son plays it mainly at home (handheld) and battery dies within 2 hours give or take. Mainly plays Fortnite.

Sam Posten and DaveF like this.
  4. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

What is it with that game? It may be the first explosively popular video game that falls completely flat for me. I couldn't play it for 5 minutes if I wanted to. My nephews, and kids of friends(ages 12-16) play it non-stop..every day.

5. JQuintana

JQuintana Second Unit

Johnny
    Yep. It took off like wildfire earlier in the year and shows no sign of stopping. Mainly because they are always changing things up. Now you can dress like your favorite NFL team. I have to give it to Epic for creating such a wild ever changing world.

My 5th grader and many of his friends will spend hours chatting via headsets while playing the game. I have to pry the controller from him several times during school nights.

Me, I hate video games now so I have zero patience for any game regardless of platform. My fascination with video games ended in the mid 80's I'd say.

Bryan^H likes this.
  6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If your son happens to be playing near an outlet, you can use the dock's USB-C power cable to directly charge the Switch.

As for battery packs, I have an Anker one that I use infrequently while traveling and it works well, but only seems to really charge the Switch if I put it to sleep for a while. It doesn't quite keep it fully powered while I'm using it.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Lunchtimes and after work away from home. At home I play docked on OLED or handheld in bed with a cable plugged in.

DaveF likes this.
  8. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    What about this Bluetooth adapter?

Popped up today and watched it to see if it might be a good solution for you (Even though the NintendoLife guy annoys me). At first it looked pretty vulnerable and not worth passing on, but then they showed something intriguing at 2:30.

It's meant to enable the use of the kickstand with the adapter plugged in (Or at least that's how he's interpreting it), but to me it looks like it also relocates it to a much less vulnerable position for someone that's worried about accidental damage to that port on the bottom of the Switch.

DaveF and JQuintana like this.
  9. Message #809 of 812 Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Yes, I've been looking at those.

More broadly, I saw the USB-A devices recommended, so I thought the Switch had a USB-A port on the top. Then, after further investigation and some small confusion, I realized the Switch has no such port. They're not even an option for mobile use. I guess the USB-A adapters are recommended for home use with the dock.

In that research, I found the Genki adapter, a Kickstarter affair, that got bunches of press last year...and apparently is typical kickstarter vaporware. So while they're out making perfect the enemy of good enough, lots of identical devices have already flooded the market and are on Amazon for $40.

Then I realized these devices would screw up the kickstand. I don't know if I would ever use the kickstand, but ... maybe? So then I start thinking about the headphone adapters like Morgan suggested, maybe with the short cable and velcro attachment. No kickstand interference. But, it's so janky, it offends my tech-nerd sensibilities.

So there's devices like you post, with the U-adapter and mic. They seem to solve most of the problems. Though I can't say for sure, as the youtuber doesn't actually do the obvious and show how the device works with kickstand deployed (he's not the brightest bulb in the YouTube set, I suppose). Also, that dingus combo is $50. Pretty spendy, the price of a game.

So I've got that and the USB-C adapter by itself for $40 on CamelCamelCamel watch.

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I'd talked myself into getting the Black Friday Mario Kart bundle. Pulling the shopping list together, I did a little final research and learned:

http://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bose/quietcontrol-30
    While I have no problems with movies and TV, this might be a videogame problem.

And regarding the Bluetooth adapters:
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R54H6EBPB02VD/ref=ask_dp_lswr_rp_hza
    So that takes me back to square zero.

I really need to be able to demo the Switch plus BT adapter with my headphones. I guess I could buy the gear, and then return it if it doesn't work. Amazon isn't great about taking returns. I'll have to check on Target for game systems.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
  12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Friends lent me their Switch. Amazon delivered Route+ Pro kit tonight. I spent an hour or so playing with it, sampling Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, Diablo III, and Lumines. There is some audio lag, but it’s tolerable. The audio through the USB C BT adapter gets a little harsh. And in D3, the volume would randomly go down and even mute. I have no idea what the cause is of these oddities. But overall the quality and stability of connection was acceptable. I’ll return my friend’s switch tomorrow, and plan on buying Thanksgiving week.

A different observation: the Switch is a young person’s toy :) The text is very small, especially on D3. I was struggling to read instructions and dialogue not infrequently. Ah well.

And I’ve decided on cartridges for big games like Zelda. I appreciate the simplicity of downloads; swapping cartridges sucks. But I still want to keep the option to sell used games when I’m done.