1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Bridge on the River Kwai (4k UHD)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 18, 2017.

1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I remember on an episode of Lost, Hurley and company were walking and whistling "The High And The Mighty" and someone here at HTF said how they were whistling the song from The Breakfast Club. Not to goof on who ever it was and since it's been a decade, I doubt they remember even saying it but I found it funny enough to remember all these years later.

2. Message #62 of 85 Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Alberto_D

Alberto_D Banned
    BANNED

Looking to the cast of Breakfast Club, I can't stop imagine if they were victms of the "Harvey effect".

But the soundtrack it's very pop, the only possible way to confuse with The High Mighty would be something like that (but faster in tempo) :

The whistling was this:

benbess likes this.
  3. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    I believe in Kwai, they mostly only whistled the Bridge.:rolleyes:

B-ROLL likes this.
  4. Alberto_D

Alberto_D Banned
    BANNED

Interesting how american schools invited famous performers. I found he worked in The Mickey Mouse Club and Lassie sounddtracks.

5. Message #65 of 85 Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Some films have their allies, while others have only an Ally.;)

6. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Watched my new 4k Kwai today. This was my favorite World War II movie when I first saw it on TV as a kid in the late 1970s. It's still my favorite today. Anyway, pq and aq seem to be a good upgrade over the previous blu-ray, which is included—and which was also quite good in its day. But this release feels like opening night in the studio theater with the director. The ambiguity of this movie, along with the amazing performances, the beautiful cinematography, and the stunning production design, are what keep me coming back. I guess it mostly starts with the screenplay by Carl Foreman and Michael Wilson. Anyway, recommended....But, almost needless to say, in some scenes film grain is present, especial in some of the transitions between scenes. But in that regard, it seems like it was what you saw in the theater in 1957—if you were lucky enough to see a print this good. My wife, who usually says she doesn't have time for a movie, watched the whole thing with me.

[​IMG]

PMF, B-ROLL and SAhmed like this.
  7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    After sitting on my to-watch shelf for probably a year, I finally took this one down and watched it this afternoon. It did look beautiful (apart from those opticals for the credits where UHD and HDR do the image no favors). Elsewhere, though, it looks simply wonderful, and some of the bright highlights on the river and during the Ceylon sequences bring out the best in HDR (which hasn't been overused).

benbess likes this.
  8. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I haven't gone 4K yet, but I'll have to buy this disc in case it's no longer available when I do buy 4K gear! The film is one of my all-time favorite movies. I saw it when it first came out and I was still a boy and I thought it was brilliant. I didn't appreciate all the subtle points but I loved the film!

9. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Here's a heads up for anyone like me, who opts for 4K via Apple TV rather than UHD disc, iTunes has Kwai on sale for a mere $4.99. I've promised myself that I'm not going to upgrade my entire Blu-ray collection to 4K as it becomes available, but at that price I couldn't resist.

10. OliverK

OliverK Producer

This is a really good deal.

Still I have a feeling that when I buy this only on AppleTV or through other digital channels then it will be another nail in the coffin of 4k on disc.

This is one of the reasons why I make it a point to buy these very old catalog titles on disc if they are a worthy improvement over what I have. That means that I will be able to watch it in the highest quality available and hopefully I will also be able to buy a lot more classic titles on UHD disc and not just a slightly inferior streaming version that may disappear from itunes at any time.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Whether you buy this 4K digital offer or not, I think the horse is already out of the barn regarding UHD disc and very old catalog titles. It’s pretty clear that the UHD disc market has always been thought of as a small niche market with limited old catalog titles being released on UHD disc.

12. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Sadly you are right about us not getting too many older titles on UHD disc but if even these few do not sell we'll probably get none. So I still think it is a good idea to buy these releases if one actually likes the movies and if the presentation is an improvement.

13. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    I suspect that with each new format the catalog titles sell fewer and fewer copies as collectors eventually decide that the version they currently own is good enough, with rare exceptions. I purchased my 5th version of Superman (this time on 4K ) this week, but I think I'm very much in an ever-shrinking minority.

14. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    If the studios had confidence in older titles, I expect we would have had Gone with the Wind, Wizard of Oz, and Casablanca, among others, on UHD disc by now. Those three titles in particular have been released on just about every home format fairly early in their lifespans.

atfree likes this.
  15. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Right, but the former two might come out in their 80th anniversary. If they don't come out next year then that tells us all we need to know.

Peter Apruzzese likes this.
  16. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

Though I only have Casablanca on Blu-ray I’ll ask the question anyway. How much better would these 3 classics look and sound on 4K UHD than their latest blu ray versions?

17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Not as big of a difference between a DVD and BD with those titles, but it should be a significant improvement from BD to 4K/UHD.

18. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

Then I certainly would purchase them. I truly hope that WB makes all 3 available in 4K UHD and not follow Paramounts policy.

SAhmed likes this.
  19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    If they come out on 4K/UHD, it will be as physical media.

20. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    If done properly, not a major difference, as they were never 4k.